Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Monday, July 13, 2009

New Movie Monday (6&7)

First, I have to apologize for last week's New Movie Monday. I honestly didn't feel like watching the movies for some reason. I've made a decision that may upset you or won't matter to you at all (depending if you like New Movie Monday or not). Basically, I've been wasting money on movies that I really don't care about seeing. So, I'm going to just wait until good movies to come out to rent them.



Director: Andrew Stanton

Starring (voices): Ben Burtt; Elissa Knight; Jeff Garlin

Genre: Animation

MPAA: G

Rating: C

I have to be honest ... I didn't finish this movie. The whole robot/cartoon thing didn't really interest me. So this will be a short review (if you want to call it a review).

After hundreds of lonely years of doing what he was built for, Wall-E (short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class) discovers a new purpose in life (besides collecting knick-knacks) when he meets a sleek search robot named Eve. Eve comes to realize that Wall-E has inadvertently stumbled upon the key to the planet's future, and races back to space to report her findings to the humans (who have been eagerly awaiting word that it is safe to return home). Meanwhile, Wall-E chases Eve across the galaxy.

The movie started off boring, so I got on my laptop. That probably ruined the movie. I should have put my laptop down and just watched the movie. I might have liked it ... but the whole concept just didn't interest me that much. Sorry guys :/.


Director: Jon Favreau



Starring: Robert Downey Jr.; Terrence Howard; Jeff Bridges


Genre: Action


MPAA: PG-13 (for some intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence, and brief suggestive content)


Rating: A


I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy this movie. I really like Spiderman, and The Dark Knight was pretty good too. But I've never heard anything about Iron Man when I was a kid (or at least from what I remember), so I was kind of afraid to try it.

Tony Stark is a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.

I'm so happy that I got this movie! I really, truly loved it. Some parts were a bit confusing for me... but maybe that's just my brain since quite a few movies have been confusing to me lately. I loved the action at the end and the movie really kept me interested the whole time. I definitely recommend this movie, even if you don't like superhero movies. My mom isn't the type of person to watch these kinds of movies, but she really liked it!




Director: Alex Proyas

Starring: Nicholas Cage; Chandler Canterbury; Rose Byrne

Genre: Action

MPAA: PG-13 (for disaster sequences, disturbing images and brief strong language)

Rating: B+

Yay! A movie that I actually wanted to see and actually liked! This makes me so happy :). I saw the trailer for this movie when I went to go see Twilight in theaters and knew that I would like it.

In 1958, as part of the dedication ceremony for a new elementary school, a group of students is asked to draw pictures to be stored in a time capsule. But one mysterious girl fills her sheet of paper with rows of apparently random numbers instead. Fifty years later, a new generation of students examines the capsule's contents and the girl's cryptic message ends up in the hands of young Caleb Koestler. But it is Caleb's father, professor John Koestler, who makes the startling discovery that the encoded message predicts with pinpoint accuracy the dates, death tolls and coordinates of every major disaster of the past 50 years. As John further unravels the document's chilling secrets, he realizes the document foretells three additional events -- the last of which hints at destruction on a global scale and seems to somehow involve John and his son. When John's attempts to alert the authorities fall on deaf ears, he takes it upon himself to try to prevent more destruction from taking place. With the reluctant help of Diana Wayland and Abby Wayland, the daughter and granddaughter of the now-deceased author of the prophecies, John's increasingly desperate efforts take him on a heart-pounding race against time until he finds himself facing the ultimate disaster -- and the ultimate sacrifice.

Wow. Sorry for the super long description. Anyway, this movie was really great. It actually scared me sometimes and I was worried that it was going to be a horror movie. It's not, so don't worry. This movie wasn't just a world disaster movie. It had some kind of sci-fi fantasy (angel or alien) feel to it. It kind of confused me, but I still recommend it.



Director: Paul McGuigan


Starring: Chris Evans; Dakota Fanning; Camilla Belle

Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller


MPAA: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, brief strong language, smoking and a scene of teen drinking.)

Rating: B+


I'm so happy I got this movie! I was waiting for it come out because (1) Chris Evans is a great piece of eye candy; (2) Dakota Fanning is one of my favorite actresses; (3) It just looks like a GOOD movie!

The Division, a shadowy government agency, is genetically transforming citizens into an army of psychic warriors--and brutally disposing of those unwilling to participate. Nick Gant, a second-generation telekinetic or "mover," has been in hiding since the Division murdered his father more than a decade earlier. He has found sanctuary in densely populated Hong Kong--the last safe place on earth for fugitive psychics like him--but only if he can keep his gift a secret. Nick is forced out of hiding when Cassie Holmes, a 13-year-old clairvoyant or "watcher," seeks his help in finding Kira, an escaped "pusher" who may hold the key to ending the Division's program. Pushers possess the most dangerous of all psychic powers: the ability to influence others' actions by implanting thoughts in their minds. But Cassie's presence soon attracts the attention of the Division's human bloodhounds, forcing Nick and Cassie to flee for their lives. With the help of a team of rogue psychics, the unlikely duo traverses the seedy underbelly of the city, trying to stay one step ahead of the authorities as they search for Kira. But they find themselves square in the crosshairs of Division Agent Henry Carver, a pusher who will stop at nothing to keep them from achieving their goal.


Sorry for another long description. I really enjoyed this movie. It confused me quite a bit, but it was still pretty thrilling. I don't know why, but I really love Camilla Belle's voice. It's just so soft and pretty, and she's not trying to sound like that either. You know how Paris Hilton has that high pitch voice that she uses when she tries to sound cute? That just bugs me. Off topic ... anyways, if you don't like supernatural/paranormal movies, then this movie probably isn't for you. But since I enjoy that type of stuff, I really liked it.



-Briana

4 comments:

  1. I saw every single one, except PUSH, which I soo want to see!

    I liked the first two the best ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Ironman. It's actually my favorite of all of the superhero movies that have come out these last few years. And now I have to check out Push - I'll admit I didn't kow anything about it before, but after your review I think I need to go rent it.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww Wall E...a C? I thought he was so cute! Oh and Iron man was excellent...i haven't seen the others just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to watch Iron Man!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!