Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Friday, July 17, 2009

Marked (House of Night Series #1)


P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Published 2007
320 pages
Rating: B/B+

Synopsis

Enter the dark, magical world of The House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change--and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Our review

Another great series about vampires! But this series is more like the real world. It's a whole different take on vampires and we love it. Teenagers will get Marked as fledgling vampires and will be brought to a House of Night school. A school for vampires. Zoey Redbird gets Marked and is brought to the House of Night in Tulsa.

At her new vampire school, Zoey tries to fit in but she learns that she has special powers that no other fledgling has ever had. Soon though, she makes new friends... and new enemies. When Zoey discovers awful things going on at the House of Night, she and her new friends, Stevie Rae, Damien, Erin, Shaunee and Erik know that they must do something about it. But how can Zoey conquer the beautiful, snobby and hateful Aphrodite when she has bloodlust, amazing new powers, a new school, changes in her body and boyfriends (yes plural!) to worry about?

Marisa:

Sorry about my bad review guys! Anyway, so the first House of Night book was not the best out of all five of them but it was still pretty good. I really like how even though these teenagers are vampires, they still act like normal teenagers. And I would love to go to the House of Night. It seems like so much fun and way better than normal school. Except that it's dangerous. Anyway I love how there is a lot of drama in this book and some romance too. A lot of cute boys :) We all know that's important. I say give this series a try because it's awesome. Marked wasn't really amazing but trust me the next book, Betrayed, is definitely amazing. And the rest of the books after Betrayed are all fantastic too.

Briana:

Marisa, at least you've been doing reviews! I really, really enjoyed this book when I first read it. I bought the sequel right after I read Marked, but it took me a while to get to it. I agree with Marisa, this is definitely not the best out of all five books ... in fact it's probably my least favorite, but it's still amazing! There are some things that bother me though. As much as I like Zoey, she can get kind of annoying and I feel like she always gets her way. Oh, another thingt that bugs me is how P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast constantly feel the need to remind people of things. Like the whole "Shaunee & Erin are twins but not technically" thing. After repeating that over and over, it really gets aggrivating. Anyways, I really recommend this book to anyone who likes vampires or even just YA Thrillers. I know you might be thinking, "Once again another vampire book", but this book is pure entertainment.

10 comments:

  1. I can't say I like this series, but I'm glad you both like it. I can see why many do like it, as it is very fast paced and exciting. I just couldn't get past the annoying main character. Zoey bugged me way to much so I quit after volume 2... Something about the "Well, hell" was just so aggravating. Great reviews!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that Zoey can be kind of annoying! I'm on the fourth book right now.

    Anyway, I have an award for you guys here:
    http://readintothis.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-be-friends-award.html

    -Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I get what you mean! As much as I love the series, Zoey and others can get very annoying. Thanks :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the House of Night series, but I do agree with you. Marked isn't the best out of the series and it does get kind of annoying!

    Btw, I see that you're reading The Summoning, Briana. I really like the series.
    Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :]

    -Kaitlyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing is, I put that book up because it's what I'll be reading next. The book I'm reading now isn't YA or a book anyone here would be interested in (I think). I think the cover is kind of boring so I just put The Summoning up. But shhhh :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series, I got attached to it once Twilight ended, I needed another fix and the House of Night series it was ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't find Marked particularly great. I was too busy getting annoyed at Zoey..she had some crappy friends before she met Stevie Rae and the rest of the group. I also didn't find that Erik was AMAZING, just kinda...cute. Maybe the books will get better after the first one. x] Have any of you read Vampire Academy yet? BECAUSE IT'S AMAZZZZZZZZING. With a zing! xD

    Briana: Definetely read City of Bones! You'll either love it or hate it. I think it's really good as far as story plots go.

    Marisa: thanks! I thought my review was kind of flimsy...I usually write more in-depth and such. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book. I have to read more about how Clary deals with Simon and Jace. xD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to mention that the header's super cute! :] in the left corner, is that a picture of you guys or is it just one of those frames that come with the picture already inserted? o.O

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pirate, I've heard good and bad things about Vampire Academy. I might try it out since I mostly hear good things about it though. And thanks for the compliment. Just Blinded Blog Makeovers took the picture for the header so I'm not really sure if that's a picture that comes in a frame... but I know that it's not us! Lol.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I just read CHOSEN and I didn't know it was the 3rd in the "House of Night" series! X) I don't know if I'll be reading these stories. I got very tired of Zoey's "im a ho-bag" statements and the fact that she had to use words like "gosh darn it!"

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!