Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Monday, June 22, 2009

New Movie Monday (4)

Usually when I go to the rental store, I look at their little magazine they have to show the New Releases for that week. Usually there's at least one movie that I really want to see. Usually I don't have to actually look around for a movie to rent. This week was unusual. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to see. I was even considering getting The Haunting of Molly Hartley and The Uninvited ... even though I always have nightmares after even the slightest scary movie. Finally, I found two movies! I'm so happy that I didn't have to scare myself to death with horror movies :).




Director: Scott Derrickson

Starring: Keanu Reeves; Jennifer Connelly; Jaden Smith

Genre: Drama/Sci-Fi

MPAA: PG-13 (for some sci-fi disaster images and violence.)

Rating: C-

Once again, I judge a DVD by it's cover and assume that it's a world disaster movie. WRONG. I clearly need to look more into the descriptions on the back of the movie.

Epic action and mind-blowing effects rock the planet in this thrilling reinvention of the sci-fi classic, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an otherwordly being whose arrival on Earth triggers an unstoppable series of events that threaten all of mankind. In a desperate attempt to save humanity, governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance. When a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson (Jaden Smith) find themselves embroiled in the alien's plan, they become the world's only hope to stave off apocalyptic annihilation.

It's barely a world disaster movie to be honest. The pictures involving building being blown apart, well that's about 5 minutes of the movie. The rest is honestly just Keanu Reeves looking at Jennifer Connelly in a weird way. It's not that I have anything against alien types of movies either. I love E.T., I love Independance Day, I love K-Pax! I just really didn't like this movie. My rating is probably too high to be honest.

EDIT: The only thing I really liked about this movie was the adorable Jaden Smith. He's a good little actor too!



Director: John Patrick Shanley

Starring: Meryl Streep; Philip Seymour Hoffman; Amy Adams
Genre: Drama

MPAA: PG-13 (for thematic material)

Rating: A

I was kind of nervous to watch this movie to be honest. It looks like it can be kind of boring and if they had any other actors/actresses than these, I think it would've definitely been boring.

Sister Aloysius Beauvier (Streep), the rigid and fear inspiring principal of the Saint Nicholas Church School, suffers an extreme dislike for the progressive and popular parish priest Father Flynn (Hoffman). Looking for wrongdoing in every corner, Sister Aloysius believes she's uncovered the ultimate sin when she hears Father Flynn has taken a special interest in a troubled boy. But without proof, the only thing certain is doubt.

Okay, the first thing I have to say is how surprised and impressed I was by Amy Adams! I've only seen her in The Wedding Date and Enchanted and her performance was always good, but always light. I was suprised by the intensity she brought to this movie along with Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

It was kind of funny watching this because I went to a Catholic school and the nuns were never like that ... actually, we only had one nun. She didn't even teach. So it was very different, but so familiar at the same time. The school I went to was St. Aloysius (Meryl Streep's name), our rival school was St. Boniface (they mention it in the movie), the nun's name at my school was Sister James (Amy Adam's name), my gym teachers name was Mr. Flynn (Philip Seymour Hoffman's name). The church they went to looked like my church on the inside. And the gym they played basketball looked exactly like the gym where I played basketball in, in the catholic school.

Other than that, which you really didn't even need to know(sorry if I made you read all of that), I really enjoyed the movie. It reminded me of Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult.

Did you watch either of these? If so, did you like them? I'd love to hear your opinions.

-B

2 comments:

  1. That's so creepily coincidental about Doubt! *shivers* Anyway, I saw the movie recently, it was so intense but so amazing. Meryl Streep was wonderful as usual, and I was also shocked by Amy Adams, who really stepped up from some of her lighter roles like Enchanted and did really well in a more difficult role!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really disliked The Day The Earth Stood Still.It was pretty bad. Doubt on the other hand was great!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!