Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another Faust

Daniel & Dina Nayeri
Published 2009
387 Pages
Rating: B-

One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish — only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city’s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor’s extraordinary "gifts." But as the students claw their way up — reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty — they start to suffer the sideeffects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most unforgivable sins. At once chilling and wickedly satirical, this contemporary reimagining of the Faustian bargain is a compelling tale of ambition, consequences, and ultimate redemption.
(taken from Barnes&Noble.com)

Okay..so to start off, I didnt exactly read the beginning prologue thing, I never do. They are just so boring to me, even if they give valuable information. I am kinda glad that I didnt either, I read it once I was done with the book and I knew what was going on. It gave information about the 5 children you will read about in this book, and how they wanted things that they couldnt have or how they said things they didnt truly mean..since they were just 10 year old kids.

But the story starts off with these kids in this house somewhere in Europe, they are taken there by this women with a fiery strange left eye. These kids have been taken from their houses because the woman promised them something in return, a gift. A gift that each child wanted so badly, one that would make them happy no matter who it hurt. The woman's name is Nicola Vileroy, she is not a pleasant person.

Fast forward 5 years to present day New York City, these children now teenagers, age: 15. They are about to start at a new school, Marlowe..a school for the elite, the smart, and the gifted. Belle, Bice, Christian, Valentine and Victoria all have their special gifts. Belle has her insanely gorgeous face and body, put she pays the price..her body gives off a foul odor and people just stare from the distance, mesmerized by her beauty but repulsed by her stench. Bice has the gift of hiding..you find out later in the book just how important her gift truly is. Christian steals, he can steal anything..someone's strength for example, he is a future Olympian. Valentine can go back and redo anything he wants, he can go back in time and stop things from happening, or changing things so even more chaos occurs. And Victoria..she cheats. She reads the minds of anyone around her, and takes any valuable or embarrassing information they have only for her own gain.

As the story progresses these kids do things with their gift. Things that I dont think I am going to tell you since that will basically give the book away, but I will tell you my thoughts on all the kids.

Belle - She is the twin sister of Bice, or at least she used to be until Vileroy gave her her gift and made her beautiful. I dont like her at the beginning of the book, but I do near the end.

Bice- She is my favorite, she is just very sweet and doesnt really do anything harmful to anyone. She is quiet and reads a lot, maybe thats why I like her..she is a fellow bookworm! :)

Christian- He again isnt really that nice in the beginning but near the end I warm up to him since he changes his ways.

Valentine- Not a good person. He is just mean. lol

Victoria- My least favorite person (besides Vileroy I guess). Vic is just plain mean to everyone around her, she cheats so much and I wish something more dramatic happened to her in the end.

All in all, I liked this book. But it could have been better. Maybe more detail and a little less confusing. There were so many things going on, that at times I just lost focus and had to reread a few things. But I still recommend this book to anyone who likes more 'evil-ish' books. I also wish the ending was better, there wasnt a good final BAM! this book is done..it was more gradual and could have been more exciting. Check this book if you are interested, it isnt half bad! :)

-Arielle
p.s. Sorry for the mega long review. :)

5 comments:

  1. I thought the author could have done more with Valentine, he was always in the brink of good or bad.

    Good review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this one so bad, but I've heard some not-so-great reviews. Perhaps I'll wait for my library to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taschima: I agree, Valentine didnt really have anything supre important, but once I found out what he was doing with Christian..I was mad. Hence the reason I dont like him. lol.

    Bookworm: I think you should give it a try! You might like it a lot more than me or those other reviewers! :)

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm interesting review. I just got this book and I'm psyched to read it! but also a little wary now. It'll be a while before I get to it anyway, so I'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!