Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Spies and Prejudice by Talia Vance

Publisher: Egmont
Source: Publicist
Edition: ARC
Pages: 304
Rating: A-

Fields’ Rule #1: Don’t fall for the enemy.

Berry Fields is not looking for a boyfriend. She’s busy trailing cheaters and liars in her job as a private investigator, collecting evidence of the affairs she’s sure all men commit. And thanks to a pepper spray incident during an eighth grade game of spin the bottle, the guys at her school are not exactly lining up to date her, either.

So when arrogant—and gorgeous—Tanner Halston rolls into town and calls her “nothing amazing,” it’s no loss for Berry. She’ll forget him in no time. She’s more concerned with the questions surfacing about her mother’s death.

But why does Tanner seem to pop up everywhere in her investigation, always getting in her way? Is he trying to stop her from discovering the truth, or protecting her from an unknown threat? And why can’t Berry remember to hate him when he looks into her eyes?

With a playful nod to Jane Austen, Spies and Prejudice will captivate readers as love and espionage collide.

Okay, so if I'm going to be honest here... I should tell you all that I've never read Pride and Prejudice (don't hate me!) I do own it... I've just never had to read it yet for college and I'm always more captivated by the lovely YA out there. But there's good news! You can still enjoy Spies and Prejudice without having any knowledge of Jane Austen's most popular novel.

On page 4 of reading Spies and Prejudice, I knew I was going to love it. It already stole my attention and wasn't planning on giving it back. Every few pages I was finding the most hilarious and clever quotes. Talia Vance either took a really long time to come up with some of the jokes and cleverness that's entwined  in Spies and Prejudice, or she's just a natural comedian. Either way, I was giggling and smiling throughout most of the book.

The friendships and romances throughout the book were fun and imperfectly perfect. Mary Chris Moss ([GET IT?!] Berry's best friend) was probably my favorite character of the whole book and sincerely wish I knew someone like her. Tanner was sometimes predictable but still adorable to read about. The romance was perfectly balanced and wasn't over the top, which is a huge plus!

The only issue I had with Spies and Prejudice was the ending. Not even the whole ending! I was just easily distracted towards the end which usually means the book isn't catching my attention as much as I wish it would. It was dragging on and I had to force myself to keep reading. But I promise, this didn't last very long. Eventually I was flipping the pages at a steady pace and needing to know what was going to happen.

Overall, besides the dragging towards the end, I really enjoyed Spies and Prejudice and look forward to reading more of Talia Vance's work. I love when a book can make me laugh out loud and physically smile, and Spies and Prejudice did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!