Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Books A Million
Edition: Hardback
Pages: 327
Rating: B-


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
The Selection is definitely not what I expected it to be. At all.

But I liked it! I think.

The whole idea of the book is that there is a Caste system. Everyone is numbered One to Eight. The lower your number, the higher your caste, and the better life you live. Generally Fives to Eights live the hardest, shortest, and poorest lives in the entire society. Ones are the royal family.

The royal family?! Yes. The royal family. The entire book is set in the future, but this future has gone medieval. A monarchy is in charge of the country and everyone is on their knees just begging to join them in their reign.

Everyone except for one girl.

America Singer is the young protagonist of this novel. She is a Five and loves that she gets to sing and play music to bring money to her family. She is a typical teenager who wants to help her family, find her passion, and fall in love.

The Selection (the title of the novel) happens when the Prince of the royal family comes of age. Every eligible, single woman between the ages of sixteen and twenty is entered in a contest. Thirty-five of thousands are chosen to go to the castle and compete for the Prince’s affections. It’s sort of like The Bachelor!
America is chosen for the Selection and is shockingly dismayed. All she wants to do is stay with her love, Aspen Leger, a Six. But her mother wants the money and status that comes with marrying a higher number.

Maxon Schreave, the Prince, is nothing like America imagines him to be. He’s just the typical guy. Except for the entire country is watching his every move as he learns to date and interact with women for the first time. A little stressful, no?

I don’t want to give away any more details! All in all, it really is like The Bachelor, but there are a few more twists and turns!


I would recommend reading it if you’re interested in a non-dystopian YA novel. Tell me what you think about it! I honestly still haven’t decided if I like America or not (she seems a little whiney to me), but I am anxious to see how the next this plays out!


4 comments:

  1. This book really surprised me! I enjoyed it so much and I can't wait for the next book! I thought it was vastly unique for a dystopian. I loved the girly side to it being a strong girly girl :). Great review <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the reviews I've read for this book were not good at all, so glad to know some people enjoyed it! I wanna read it, if only to see what I'm missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really wanting to read this for ages so it's good to hear you liked it!

    Catherine :)
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, but I definitely want to check this one out! Great blog, New follower!

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!