Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Friday, July 3, 2009

New Movie Monday (5) ... Late!

Another dead week again. What's going on? A few weeks ago I was getting the BEST movies and I got so lucky, now it's just a bunch of duds. Hopefully next week will be better, Push and Knowing will be coming out and I really want to see the both of those! Oh ... and sorry this is so late. I went to the over night orientation on Sunday and when I get home Monday, I fell asleep. I didn't even get to finish the movies until last night.




Director: P.J. Hogan

Starring: Isla Fisher; Hugh Dancy; Krysten Ritter

Genre: Comedy/Romantic

MPAA: PG (for some mild language and thematic elements)

Rating: C

I was so excited that a movie was coming out on DVD that I may actually want to watch. The trailer for this movie was adorable and come on, Isla Fisher is hilarious. But ... this movie just didn't do it for me.

Fall in love with the adorable Becky Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) in the hilarious romantic comedy Confessions Of A Shopaholic. Becky s desperate for a job writing for a high-fashion magazine in glamorous New York. She gets her stilettos in the door writing a personal finance column at a sister publication. Much to her surprise, her column, The Girl In The Green Scarf, becomes a hit, and she falls head over high heels for her handsome, overworked boss (Hugh Dancy). But Becky has a secret that leads to some hilarious high jinks that could unravel it all. From the best-selling novel, and featuring the perfect comedic cast, it s the feel-good romantic comedy you ll fall in love with over and over.

Sure, it was cute and funny, but I expected more. I was kind of on my laptop a lot since I was just getting so bored. It's not like I really regret watching it, because the other movies in the movie store didn't look so great either, but now I know.

Although, I guess if you love Romantic Comedies, then you'll probably enjoy this movie. Maybe they just aren't for me.



Director: Ron Howard

Starring: Frank Langella; Michael Sheen; Kevin Bacon

Genre: Drama/History

MPAA: R (for some language)

Rating: D+

I wasn't too excited to watch this movie, to be frank. The last political movie I watched was Milk and I didn't really enjoy that too much. But, since there was really nothing else to get, I figured, "Why not?".

From Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard comes the electrifying, untold story behind one of the most unforgettable moments in history. When disgraced President Richard Nixon agreed to an interview with jet-setting television personality, David Frost, he thought he’d found the key to saving his tarnished legacy. But, with a name to make and a reputation to overcome, Frost became one of Nixon’s most formidable adversaries and engaged the leader in a charged battle of wits that changed the face of politics forever. Featuring brilliant portrayals by Frank Langella and Michael Sheen, Frost/Nixon is the fascinating and suspenseful story of truth, accountability, secrets and lies.

I probably should've rented a comedy or something, these movies just aren't for me. Now that I know, I doubt I'll ever rent a movie about politics again. Oh, and even though I didn't like the movie, the acting was pretty good. At least we know that Michael Sheen can act for New Moon!

Hopefully next week will be a better one. I got two movies that are pretty light and not very serious.

-B

3 comments:

  1. I saw Confessions today as well...and I really liked it! It was cute, but I agree, I expected more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked confessions very much, haven't seen the Nixon movie though..

    Today i saw The Proposal, loved it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see why other people would like Confessions more than I did, I guess Romantic Comedies aren't my thing anymore.

    The Proposal looks really funny! Good to know that it's worth seeing.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!