Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Thursday, July 18, 2013

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Release Date: May, 2011
Source: BEA
Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 402
Rating: A

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't enjoy by Sarah Dessen. This woman can literally write about staring at a wall and it would still be an interesting read. With that said, of course, I enjoyed every page of What Happened to Goodbye.

What Happened to Goodbye is a character driven novel (just like many other of Dessen's) that comes with such a unique charm. Whenever I start reading one of her novels, I remember why I adore her so much. The writing is so simple and flows beautifully.

I loved how Mclean's world revolved around something as simple as a restaurant. It almost reminded me of Luke's Diner from Gilmore Girls, and come on. Who doesn't love Luke's Diner? Usually I crave some type of romance when I read YA, but there isn't a ton in Dessen's novels and I'm alright with that. She makes it captivating enough with other issues involving friendships and family.

What Happened to Goodbye is basically the perfect summer read for anyone that is craving something comfortable. It's not a very eventful novel but at the same time it's still entertaining and fun to read. If you've never read a novel by Sarah Dessen, I highly recommend you do so and while I adore all of her novels, What Happened to Goodbye is definitely in my top 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!