Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Friday, January 18, 2013

What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Source: Bought (@ my local indie)
Edition: Paperback
Pages: 261
Rating: C+


My name is Sophie.
This book is about me.
It tells
the heart-stoppingly riveting story
of my first love.
And also of my second.
And, okay, my third love, too.

It's not that I'm boy crazy.
It's just that even though
I'm almost fifteen
it's like
my mind
and my body
and my heart
just don't seem to be able to agree
on anything.



WMMDK (What My Mother Doesn't Know) was pretty cute! I think it was meant for the younger, YA crowd (15 and under) but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable for anyone older. I read the entire novel in one sitting which wasn't a big deal since it's written in verse. Even though the book is around 300 pages, it feels like maybe 100 or less due to the format.

While WMMDK was entertaining enough to keep me reading, I can't say that the story will stick with me forever. It's more of a light and fluffy read that can be used to kill some time and take your mind off anything serious. 


The main character, Sophie, did make me giggle out loud a few times from her outrageous thoughts. I do wish that I would have connected a bit more with her though! She was a little immature for a 15 year old. If I didn't know her age, I would have guessed she was around 11 or 12 years old. 

So basically... give this book a shot if you need to kill some time and are looking for something slightly entertaining.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is great, and this book looks good. I've seen it in the library, but I've never picked it up because I don't really like books in verse. But maybe I'll read it anyway. Thanks.
    http://thepseudo-intellectual.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I'm not a fan of books in verse either but this one is really easy to read. It feels like the words just float into your brain, if that makes any sense! Lol.

      Delete
  2. I think you're right about it being for younger kids. I remember reading it when I was in middle school (probably 7th grade) and loving it. Then I re-read it again a year or too ago and thought it was only okay. Anyhow, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!