Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead


Publisher: Razorbill (August 2007)

Source: Bought (B&N)

Edition: Paperback

Pages: 332

Rating:



St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

I've owned this book for longer than a year now and kept putting it off because the synopsis didn't really pull me in as much as I would've liked it to. Vampires are fun and all but the whole guardian thing seemed a little unappealing at first. But, since I've heard so many people rave about it, I figured I would give in and finally allow myself to indulge in it.

The first few chapters were a little slow (just like mostly any other book I've read) but it finally picked up and I was officially curious about how the story was going to play out. I really like Rose's sense of humor and how she approached gossip situations... hilarious! (By the way, the whole time I was reading this book I saw Mila Kunis playing Rose and Skyler Samuels playing Lissa.) Dimitri was absolutely to die for. Such an swoon-worthy character whom I predict will get even hotter as the series continues.

So from the paragraph above, I'm sure you can tell that I really loved the characters. The plot? It was good. Wasn't the most exciting plot but I feel like it's going to get much better as the series continues. This is the start of a series after all which sometimes can be the least action packed. I definitely have high hopes for the rest of the series and can't wait to get started on them =)




10 comments:

  1. I love this series so much, I still need to read the last book though. I can't believe it's taken you this long to start it! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :) Just a heads up, that the books just get better and better and when you think they can't get better, they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read the first one and really liked it. I keep trying to read the next one but find I have no time to do it.

    great review! you should look at my review of it.

    Http://daydreamerN.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are so amazing! The entire series is phenomenal, and you're right, it gets so much better as the series goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely a those series that keeps getting better as the books continue...Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thought about reading this series, but like you was not pulled in by the actual discription of the book. Thanks for the review, I'll think about it a little more. I have a good friend who LOVES this series. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. after reading this one, i got the rest of the series. but still have to open book 2. i know it will be good though because of all the good reviews pouring about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! It seems to be a good and captivating book. I will download it right away because I just found a great website called all you can books which offers unlimited e-books download. Hope the book will be as interesting as the review is:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story and the cover! It kind of starts off slow, but I still like the book. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review on Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead!

    New follower.

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review!!! I liked the story review and the book cover too its awesome. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This series just keeps on getting better and better. Frostbite (book # 2) is the one I like the best because a fave character of mine shows up there. And I adored Bloodlines (fave 2011 book) which is the spin off series of Vampire Academy.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!