Home    Reviews    Review Policy    About BAM    Double Dose

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Scarlet Letter (Readable Classics) by Nathaniel Hawthorne and Wayne Josephson

Publisher: Readable Classics

Source: Author

Edition: Paperback

# of Pages: 210

Rating:



Readable Classics gently edits the great works of literature, retaining their essence and spirit, and making them more enjoyable and less frustrating for modern readers.

Puritan Boston, 1600's -- Beautiful, defiant Hester Prynne commits adultery, refuses to name the father of her illegitimate child, and is condemned to wear a scarlet A on her breast for the rest of her life. She becomes the first true heroine of American fiction.

Nathaniel Hawthorne's 1850 masterpiece was the first American novel to explore the moral struggle with sin, guilt, and pride; the conflict between the heart and the mind; and the deadly consequences of not being able to forgive ours
elves and others.

Miss me? It's been a while since I've reviewed a book and it's funny because I'm not actually reading this book just for pleasure, it's for school too. That shows how much time I have... This is a hard book to review because I'm not just reviewing one author's work, I'm reviewing another's work also.

I enjoyed The Scarlet Letter although I got bored at times. It was mysterious, yet somewhat predictable. Romantic... yet lacking. I really wish they could have showed the romance that happened before the prosecution.

As for Wayne Josephson, he did a great job making the book an easier read. This is the first book I've read for a literature class that I didn't fall asleep reading! If Readable Classics has another book that I'll need to read for a literature class, I'm definitely going to have to grab it!

5 comments:

  1. I recently started going back and reading classics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book but did see the movie based on this. Thanks for the review.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be curious to see what they change in the readable classics (if it's just the archaic language or if anything else is altered). The Scarlet Letter was one of my favorite reads from high school English classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh this story is scandalousy delicious I've been wanting to read it. Maybe I'll ty this version. Great rewiew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope more people will discover this book after they watch the movie Easy A.

    Check out/follow my blog: http://ya100words.blogspot.com/ YA Lit Reviews in 100 words or less and songs to read by!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! We love to hear from you!